Sunday, June 3, 2012

Sunday Chat

Warm sun. Cool breeze. Nice mannered crowd.  It is a wonderfully gorgeous day at the beach.
A dear friend showed us this place which is tucked away from the Santa Cruz crowd, yet close enough to allow for a stop at the Marianne's creamery on way back.
Late in the morning I ushered everyone out of the house after packing us a picnic bag. Then during our ride on Hwy17 I got on the phone with my dad and online with my siblings for our usual Sunday chat.
I really enjoy these Sunday chats.  It allows for lots of different discussions.  Discussions that may not come up on the phone.  Discussions that can be as lame/fun as what we are making for lunch/dinner or as serious as best practices/challenges in raising a resilient child.
Today, there started a discussion about the need to know the future. And why it is appealing. My sister S said that as long as you were told the positive in the future she didn't mind knowing.  We didn't stay on the topic for too long but while sitting on the beat I thought with myself some more and dug deeper in the idea in my head.
I think it is for sure appealing to get to know the future. One reason why can be because it is a knowledge bound in time and there is nothing one can do to gain it. So learning glimpses of it in advance provides you with a vision you lack, one might argue.
Thinking about it some more, I think I don't want to know the future anymore. When I was younger it could've been exciting to know, but now, I think I'm in a stage in life I don't want anything to change except toward the better. But change is inevitable, and I know that not all changes are exciting. Hence, I have no interest in knowing what's in store. Prefer to deal with any change as it comes I think.  And I pray that God prevent any burden on me beyond my capacity and what I can carry on with.  Anything positive, I am all for it.  But what is negative.  Isn't it all our expectations?  Isn't everything positive in the end?  I hope so!
So let's put it this way:  I do not want to anticipate the future.  I want to live now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thought provoking. Too abstract to comment but I like how you explained your thoughts.

midnight/... said...

Thanks anonymous! I am reading it more and I know I can talk more and more. But it will be all fragment of arguments. Nothing to be able to conclude on for sure. I decided to keep it brief and just share an opinion. After al, my opinions are time bound too ;)

Anonymous said...

The good news is that if you knew the future, you would not lose things, and then you would not be bothered. One thing you know in the future is you have friends:). Thanks for letting me read as plane rides give me time to catchup on favorite reading

midnight/... said...

Ha ha yeah! To not loose things I need visibility into the past!
Safe rides!

midnight/... said...

Ha ha yeah! To not loose things I need visibility into the past!
Safe rides!